Sunday, March 21, 2010

Font Size/ Typography

Every time I read the Yale Guide I am amazed at how specific it is about web site design. I feel they have really considered all areas of a web page. I find the reading very comprehensive.

This week was no exception on comprehensiveness. The chapter on Typography was so in depth. I had never realized how the html script and CSS can impact your web pages usefulness. There was one page that dealt with the ratio of image pixels to the useful data on a page or heading. What????? I never thought that I would be thinking about how useful my headings can be. Another section of the reading dealt with different borrowers that could negatively impact your page. Whether it is user friendly or too complex.

I have come to some conclusions
1. I will never be the best html/CSS writer. I find this very new and challenging for me But I think I can learn enough to be dangerous.
2. be Consistent. All of the chapters that I have read mention something about consistency. TO be more universal in nature I need to be consistent with all my web pages. Consistent with the pages, font, headings, colors, wire frames etc....
3. Remember not to get too caught up in a flashy web page, an overcrowded page, too complex page. In the reading I learned that Flash, crowding, and complexity can ruin your web page.

My motto from the beginning has been about simplicity. If I as the instructor find it complex or difficult then my students will find it extremely difficult.

The font/header size 11/13 was a fact that I had not realized about what individuals like to read. I keep learning more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment